February 12, 2011

All Good Things Must Come to an End...


Today is the last day of my lovely week long holiday - tomorrow it is back to work and the reality of everyday life!

I have had a lovely week spending time with my partner, eating too much (thankfully I am going to the gym bright and early tomorrow morning!), watching movies and reading the days away.

I have read some wonderful words over the holiday, Five Bells by Gail Jones was a highlight and I have also made a lot of progress with A Suitable Boy - I'm now well over half way through. I was feeling a bit bogged down by it's level of detail and description but some real action and drama has just taken place and I can feel a real turning point coming.

I have also started a new book - The Vagrants which is just incredible - can't wait to finish this one and tell you all about it.

So, tomorrow I will start juggling two jobs as a lecturer and a social worker as well as my own study - looking forward to the challenge (and still having plenty of time to read!).

9 comments:

Mystica said...

The Vagrants is new to me so waiting to hear what you think of it.

verity said...

Boo to the end of the holidays - but it sounds like you have an interesting combination of employment! What do you lecture in?

Unknown said...

I have heard fantastic things about The Vagrants too. I hope you love it as much as everyone else seems to.

It is great to hear about your progress with A Suitable Boy too. It has been on my shelf looking at me for far too long. I really hope you insipre me to actually take it down and read it.

Karen said...

Hi Mystica - I just finished The Vagrants last night so review is coming soon!

Hi Verity - I lecture in the social work department of my cities university. Enjoyable but challenging at times!

Hi Jackie - I hope I can convince you to pick up A Suitable Boy too!

Sarah said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday, I have my own time off coming up and can't wait! Five Bells is one of the books I'm looking forward to.

I was very impressed by Yiyun Li's short story collection Gold boy, EMerald Girl so will be interested to hear about The Vagrants.

Karen said...

Hi Sarah - I hope you have a great holiday with lots of reading!

Tamara said...

Hi Karen, You knew this time would arrive soon enough - I wish you all the best with the challenge ahead of you - finding that balance! I know you have been eagerly preparing and waiting for this course to start - I hope it's everything you hope it to be. You're forever amazing me with how much reading you fit into your busy life. May the simple pleasure of reading find space in your weekyl routines too..

Karen said...

Hi T - thanks so much for your support and encouragement. xox

Unknown said...

We are travel vietnam, please contact with us advi.. www.dulichanz.com