January 03, 2010

How Much Do I Love The Book Depository??

The answer to that question would be - A LOT!
Buying books in Australia can be quite expensive - I try hard to support some of the smaller, independently owned bookshops but it is often a struggle to find the book I am looking for (in my town at least) and if they do have it in stock it is ridiculously expensive and if it is not in stock it takes weeks to come in - and it is still ridiculously expensive!
So my partner and I have been doing a lot of our book buying through The Book Depository lately and on the weekend I made a last flurry of purchasing before we restrict our book buying as part of our 2010 budgetary measures! The books I am now looking out for in our mail box are:
In Praise of Slow - Carl Honre - This is a book I have been meaning to read for a while now and it will hopefully encourage and support one of my reading goals for this coming year which is to read my books more slowly and deliberately.

How To Be A Domestic Goddess - Nigella Lawson - Another book I have been coveting for the longest time (but it costs over $60 in Australian bookshops so it has stayed on the shelves!). It is also supporting one of my reading /lifestyle goals for this year.

The White Garden - Stephanie Barron - I first saw this book over at Frances's blog and it sounds really interesting - and it fits in well as an accompaniment to the Woolf Read Along I am participating in at the moment.

Me and Miss M - Jemma Forte - I read about this in a local magazine and it just sounded like a nice light, fun read - for times when I need one of those.

14 comments:

Molly said...

I have yet to use Book Depository - but giving considerable thought to making my first purchase in 2010. I especially want Susan Hill's book, Howard's End...which is not yet available in the U.S.

I look forward to reading your reviews of these newly purchased items.

Onesimus said...

Hi Molly,
I recently bought a copy of Susan Hill's book direct from the author via her website.

I received it (in Australia) a little over a week later and compared to the cost of similar sized books bought locally it was very reasonably priced.

There was also the bonus of the book being autographed by the author.

Tim

Marg said...

The Book Depository has been my online bookstore of choice for a while now. The no delivery to Australia is a good incentive, as is the fact that UK (and now US) books are so much cheaper than ours. With it generally being a few dollars cheaper to use BD than it is to walk into one of our bookstores, it's an obvious choice.

verity said...

I guess I am lucky living in the UK! Nigella's book is great - I have made many of the recipes! Hope to see what you bake from it!

JoAnn said...

Frances did make The White Garden look very tempting! I had to make another book purchase (or two) before my ban went into effect, too...

Nadia said...

I've never used The Book Depository but I have heard some great things about that site and its free shipping policy. I'll have to check it out. Just wanted to say cheers to you on some great purchases you just made. I want that Stephanie Barron book - it looks so interesting. Can't wait to read your reviews! By the by, I love Nigella Lawson - her cooking show is awesome!

Karen said...

Hi Molly - I got my copy of the Susan Hill book from the Book Depository too - highly recommended!

Hi Marg - it is way too easy isn't it? I have always been impressed by how quickly the books get to us too.

Hi Verity - Your blog has been a big inspiration in making me want to increase my cooking skills so thank you!

Hi JoAnn - I was very sneaky and got in as many purchases as I could too!

Hi Nadia - I would definitely recommend the Book Depository - we used it quite a bit last year and never had a complaint. I love Nigella's show too - I spent a large portion of the weekend watching it!

Merenia said...

Hello, I am a fellow sufferer - live in Adelaide... I make no apology for using Book Dep almost exclusively. Until they lift the obscenely huge tarrif on books imported to Australia (I think we have three more years before they do), I just cannot support local bookstores when theres an alternative like BD. It is my lifeline!

Darlene said...

I feel a lot less guilty about book purchases through TBD as they're so reasonably priced. Enjoy your new titles!

Iliana said...

Oh yay, new books! I hadn't seen The White Garden before but I'm intrigued. Enjoy your new books.

Unknown said...

I love the Book Depository too! I have bought a few books from its America shop and love it...if only it would open an Australian section soon...

Karen said...

Hi Merenia - I completely agree!

Hi Darlene - I like being able to reduce the guilt factor related to my book buying whenever I can!

Hi Iliana - I hadn't seen it before seeing it on Frances's blog either - this is why blogging is so great - I find so many more books I want to read!

Hi Jackie - I didn't even know they had different shops! An Australian specific one would be great.

Paperback Reader said...

You can't beat free shipping! I'm part of their affiliates program.

I love How to be a Domestic Goddess and I'm going to attempt her supper onion pie from it this month. I have a generous collection of Nigella cookbooks but this has my favourite cover, by far.

Karen said...

Hi Claire - it is such a gorgeous book. I can't wait to receive it and start cooking!