April 30, 2009
April 27, 2009
April 26, 2009
April 25, 2009
April 19, 2009
April 17, 2009
April 13, 2009
April 12, 2009
April 11, 2009
When I am on breaks from work I always feel drawn to not only reading great new books but also revisiting the old favourites - the books you keep going back to and can read numerous times without getting sick of.
For me any Jane Austen book fits into this category - I could read her books over and over again and never tire of them. I also find that I discover something new in each re-reading - depending on my mood, the time at which I am reading it or what is happening in my life at the time. Persuasion is always my favourite Austen novel but I find I "save" this book for special re-reads - I don't want to wear it out! I'm more likely to re-read Pride and Prejudice for some reason.
What about others - what are your favourite re-reads??
April 10, 2009
April 09, 2009
April 06, 2009
So, I am posing the question - what is the best book you have read so far in 2009? What is the book you would recommend to your best friend without hesitation? If you can't decide on just one I am more than happy to hear about two or three books that have blown you away so far this year. The easter long weekend is coming up so I am hoping I will have some time to fit in lots of reading.
I won't be completely lazy and let everyone else do the work - I'll put my own suggestions into the ring.
My favourite book so far this year would have to be The History of Love by Nicole Krauss - too beautiful to describe.
Other great reads for me have been Affinity by Sarah Waters and Wanting by Richard Flanagan - both books I would recommend in a heartbeat.
April 05, 2009
So, my Zombie Chicken Awards go to:
1. Thyme For Tea - Even in the face of zombie chickens I know Tamara would still be producing an interesting and enlightening blog!
2. Trish's Reading Nook - As with Tamara I know Trish will always have high quality posts - definitely excellence being displayed for me.
3. Little Breeze - there is definitely grace, persistence and excellence over at Megan's blog.
4. Books and Cooks - anyone who can cook and has great reading recommendations deserves a zombie chicken I think!
5. Laura's Reading Reflections - for grace, persistence and excellence.