February 07, 2009

Weekend Catch Up


My poor blog has been a little neglected lately - evidence of too much other stuff going on in my life I think! I have been trying to keep up with my blog reading though.

My reading has also been a little neglected this year - I have been trying to find a place and time for my reading in amongst all of my other commitments and that has taken me some time but I think I am finally working it out as I have finished two books this weekend (which actually feels like a great accomplishment to me right now!). So, reviews will be coming up on The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon and 44 Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith.

I have also been to Sydney this week for work and that always inspires my reading as I get to visit all of my favourite bookshops in the city and surrounds. I did pick up a couple of goodies - Girl in a Blue Dress by Gaynor Arnold and How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen. As usual I could have come away with many more but I managed to restrain myself!

Hopefully more regular blogging to come!

5 comments:

Andi said...

How Reading Changed My Life is a wonderful little book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

What did you think of Kavalier and Clay? I've had it on my stacks for a scandalously long time.

Anonymous said...

I've become a fan of the Scotland Street series, so will look out for your review. I enjoyed Quindlen's essay, so hope you do to.

Girl in a Blue Dress got mixed reviews but was on the Booker longlist, so I'll be interested to hear about it.

I also want to say thanks for your review of Addition a while back, which prompted me to finally get it off the shelf and read it. I found it surprisingly good, both witty and moving, and will be keeping an eye out for Toni Jordan's next novel.

Karen said...

Hi Andi - I have been looking out for Quindlen's book for a while now so looking forward to reading it. I have mixed feelings about Kavalier and Clay - it is clearly a brilliant book but I found it hard going at times. Still very glad that I have read it though.

Hi adevotedreader - I absolutely loved 44Scotland St! It was exactly the book I needed to be reading at the time I picked it up. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series now - was very excited to see that there are 4 more!
I hadn't heard anything about Girl in a Blue Dress before I saw it in the shop but I gave it the first page test (i.e. read the first page and if I want to keep going I usually buy it!) and it hooked me in.
I'm glad you liked Addition - it was a sweet book wasn't it? And yet still quite serious and real at the same time I'm hoping Jordan's next book isn't too far away.

tanabata said...

I've had Kavalier and Clay in my stacks for a few years but just haven't felt the urge to read it. Someday, maybe.
I've been having a hard time keeping up with things lately too. Where does the time go?

Karen said...

Hi Tanabata - I completely agree - I can't believe we are in February already. As I am getting older I think I am becoming much more selective with my reading - I realise I can't read everything!