January 09, 2009

The Chunkster Challenge 2009


I've taken a big, deep breath and have decided to dive into this challenge - well, more like dip my toes in the shallow end!

The Chunkster Challenge 2009 is all about reading chunky, big books. Not something I am necessarily adverse to - it's just that my reading hasn't exactly been flowing along lately and with a new full time job and a PhD to consume most of my time I'm not sure how much dedicated reading time I am going to have this year. Having said that though - I want to give it a go.

Here is the run down of the challenge from Think Pink Dana:


HERE IT IS! As promised! The Chunkster Challenge 2009 Edition!
SIGN UPS END MARCH 1st
There have been a few changes to the rules so please read closely:
*A chunkster is 450 pages or more of ADULT literature (fiction or nonfiction) Don't complain folks, I read all thousands of pages of the Twilight series and they were good, but not a challenge. A chunkster should be a challenge.
*If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more I asked around and the average LT book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.
*No Audio books in the chunkster. It just doesn't seem right. Words on paper for this one folks.
* You may start any time after signing up. You must complete your reads before or on Nov 15th.
*Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
*Books may crossover with other challenges (see option 4 for a collaborative effort with TBR challenge)
*Only option 4 requires that you make a set list of books to complete the challenge
Those are the basics. Here are your options:


*The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a large tome or two to read, but really doesn't want to commit to more than that. 2 books is all you need to finish this challenge.
*Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 3-5 Chunksters over the next ten months.
*Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 6 or more chunksters OR three tomes of 750 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.

And lastly, in an intriguing collaboration with the wildly popular Miz B of
the TBR Challenge we have:
*Too Big To Ignore Anymore - this option is for those chunksters on your TBR list. You may select any number of books over 450 pages but you must LIST THEM to complete the challenge and they must be on your TBR list as well (honor code folk, I don't have time to be the challenge police)

I am going to ease myself into this challenge and sign up for the first option - The Chubby Chunkster. The two books I am going to commit to are:


1. The Annotated Version of Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen and David M. Shapard (739 pages)


2. A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth (1488 pages)


Both books I really, really want to read so hopefully I will make it to the end of this challenge!



10 comments:

Jules said...

"A suitable boy" is in my TBR list but I can't decide if I'll read it or not in 2009! Too much Indian litterature lately... taste all the same I guess. Jane Austen, lovely! I'm reading "Vanity Fair" in French by Thackeray and THAT is a challenge! Over 1000 pages...

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I think I'll be joining this one as well, but not sure what to choose for my books. I am scared to death of long books!! :)

Laura said...

Large books generally don't scare me too much, but one that has 1488 pages?? That's a little scary! Good luck with the challenge! :)

Tamara said...

OMG, Karen, what are you getting yourself into... PhD, new job, and chunky challenges like this one! Hey, all the best to you (any anyone prepared to give it a go). While I don't see this as one of my challenges, "A Suitable Boy" does look like something I would enjoy. Any suggestions for shorter versions?

Karen said...

Hi Jules - I'm a big fan of literature set in India - not sure why I just feel very drawn to it. Good luck with Vanity Fair - I would like to read that one also but I think it would be a struggle for me in French!

Hi Trish - you should definitely join in - do the smallest level like me so it doesn't feel so daunting!

Hi Laura - are you going to join the challenge too?

Hi Tamara - I think I am only joining in because these are 2 books I really, really want to read so I think that will help me make it to the end. Rohinton Mistry is another author that writes excellent stories around family life in India. I have a couple of his books if you would like to borrow?

Eva said...

Welcome to the challenge world! I used to read a ton of Indian lit, but since I started blogging it's been getting the back burner as I push myself more. Maybe I just need a couple new authors!

Karen said...

Hi Eva - I always seem to be finding new Indian authors - it seems you be an always growing area of the lit world.

Anonymous said...

A Phd and a new job? I'll know who to come to for time management advice! lol! What are you doing you're Phd in?

Karen said...

Hi antipodeanowl - I will let you know when I get on top of the whole time management thing (if ever!). I'm doing my PhD in social work (my area of work) and the area of grief and loss following sudden and unexpected death.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Your Phd topic, whilst intense, sounds like a really rewarding area for you to sink your teeth into and produce a body of work. Good for you and best wishes with it!